Thursday 12 April 2012

18th Century Waistcoat

Today was the first session back after the easter break where we were assigned to making a waistcoat or breeches for the next three weeks. I was given a men's 18th Century waistcoat pattern using the following measurements:

  • Chest: 40 inch
  • Waist: 35 inch
  • Hip: 40 inch
The fabric I have been given is a very delicate stripped wool cashmere in cream. This means I will not only have to back it in white cotton but also later on be precise in my stitching as any unpicking could damage and mark the material. Then as a contrast to this a silesia fabric in a fawn colour which will be used for the back pieces but also follow through to line the inside of the waistcoat. Below are some photos of the example waistcoat we will be using as a guide.




Having studied the example waistcoat first I could go ahead and cut all my pattern pieces. The lining could be cut easily adding 2.5cm seam allowance all the way around apart from the CB where 5cm is needed. And then to avoid marking my top cream fabric I cut all the necessary front pieces in cotton first adding seam allowance and then use these pieces as a template to translate onto the cream but ensuring all stripes are mirrored and follow the straight of grain. Then by mark stitching all lines the cotton and cream will hold together, treating them as one layer. 

By the end of the week I hope to have everything cut out and all lines mark stitched correctly ready to begin construction next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment